Press "Enter" to skip to content

Resting was not an option for Sid Hartman, and that’s what made him great

Sid Hartman was halfway home to reaching 101 years old when he died Sunday. The information first came in a tweet from his son, Chad, and instantly, social media was set aflame.

Many of those went with the traditional RIP. I have a question for all those going that route:

Are you nuts? Rest in Peace for Sid Hartman?

That’s not a message of compassion for Sid. That’s an insult.

OK, I’m sure Sid had a few peaceful moments in his century as a Minnesotan. He did fall on the ice and break a hip in 2016, and there had to be sedation involved, so there might have been a couple of hours when the then-96-year-old was put into neutral.

That didn’t last, of course. Less than three weeks after the fall and the surgery, the Gophers held a news conference to introduce football coach P.J. Fleck, and Hartman was there — to hear Fleck’s sales pitch, although more importantly to guilt the new coach into a sacred vow to make weekly appearances on Sid’s Sunday radio show.

Here’s my synopsis on RIP and Sid:

I first met him in August 1963 when hired as a sports copy boy for the Minneapolis Morning Tribune. Sid was both the morning sports editor and the provider of Hartman’s Roundup five or six days per week. Staples of the Roundup were a half-dozen small mug shots — called half-column cuts — of people mentioned.

Sid would give one of the copy boys (aka, the victim) a list of six names. You would head for the library and go through the alphabetized drawers of half-column cuts. If a person on the list didn’t surface, you would find a photo in the files to make a fresh engraving.

Early on, after a search as the rookie copy boy, I informed Sid that neither a half-column nor a photo of one of those parties existed.

Mr. Hartman did not take that information by resting in peace. In fact, if he wasn’t so worried about the Gophers’ upcoming season opener with Nebraska, he might have taken a moment to end my newspaper career right there.

Fifty-seven years later, with 20 as a competitor in St. Paul, and then 32 back in Minneapolis, I’ve been in Sid’s company a couple of thousand times, and I’ve never seen a man at peace. Read from source….